12.01.2013

Winter Reading

Hi all! I have just finished my first term at Dartmouth College, and I am now home for winter break. I realize I haven't kept up with the blog over fall term (college is busy!) but I hope to start back up with a list of 8 books I hope to read this break (Modern Library Classics are marked with 100).
  1. The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman: the tragic story of Tom and Isabel who care for a baby that washes up on the shore of the lighthouse off the coast of Australia, POST
  2. Scoop by Evenlyn Waugh (100): a satire about what one does in the pursuit of news and sensationalist journalism, POST
  3. Tattoos on the Heart by Gregory Boyle: the memoir of a Jesuit priest working in the gang capital of the world (mandatory reading for a program I am a part of at school, Tucker Leaders in Community), POST
  4. Hiroshima by John Hersey: what happened the day the atom bomb was dropped, POST
  5. This is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz: nine stories about Yunior about how "the half-life of love is forever," POST
  6. Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry (100): the tale of an alcoholic British consul in the small Mexican town of Quauhnahuac, on the Day of the Dead, November 2, 1938. (simply can't get through it, will re-try at a later date...)
  7. Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt: the "moving story of love, grief, and renewal as two lonely people become the unlikeliest of friends," POST
  8. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks: inspired by the true story of the Sarajevo Haggadah, POST
Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment