8.15.2011

The Magicians

You know a book is going to be good when it starts out with a map of a far away land. Critically acclaimed, and a new york times bestseller, the Magicians by Lev Grossman is the story of Quentin Coldwater, who is "unexpectedly admitted into an elite, secret college of magic."As George R.R. Martin (author of the A Game of Thrones series (which I'm currently reading!! and will post about at a later date)) wrote about Grossman's novel "These days any novel about young sorcerers at wizard school inevitably invites comparison to Harry Potter...The Magicians is to Harry Potter as a shot of Irish whiskey is to a glass of weak tea. Solidly rooted in the traditions of both fantasy and mainstream literary fiction, the novel tips its hat to Oz and Narnia as well to Harry, but don't mistake this for a children's book. Grossman's sensibilities are thoroughly adult, his narrative dark and dangerous and full of twists. Hogwarts was never like this." I couldn't agree more. However much I love love love the Harry Potter series, this is a more mature and realistic book. The sequel, The Magician King, actually came out a mere six days ago (I'm awaiting my copy). I think I've read this book at least twice, if not three times, because it's just so good! Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment